At times, you might face unknown and unwarranted interruptions in the QuickBooks software. One of the primary reasons is a firewall or Windows security system blocking the internet required to operate QuickBooks or preventing the users from opening a particular file in the software.
Hence, unless the firewall or the security issue is resolved, it is not possible to resume operations. While updating the firewall to the latest version or configuring the security might work, sometimes configurations need to be done manually to ensure we can resume the file download or working on the software.
Automatic Configuring of Windows Firewall and Anti-virus Settings:
Firewall settings in Windows and the Antivirus can be done automatically through QuickBooks file Doctor. Running the File Doctor helps in opening up the firewall ports automatically and in configuring it according to the requirement. However, this might not work in all cases. If automatically running QuickBooks file doctor did not work, configuring it manually would help.
Manual Configuring of Firewall and Antivirus systems in Windows
The below-mentioned steps will help automatically update firewall settings in Windows operating systems. The steps can help configure windows 7, 8, 10, 2008 and 2012 versions.
- To begin, click on ‘START’ and key-in the words ‘FIREWALL’
- From the menu, select ‘WINDOWS FIREWALL’
- Click on ‘ADVANCED SETTINGS’ from the right-hand side and right-click on ‘INBOUND RULES’
- Select a ‘NEW RULE’ and click ‘PORT’ and select ‘NEXT’
- Here, select ‘TCP’ and key-in the required ports for QUICKBOOKS version. For example:
- FOR Version QuickBooks 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368-553772
- For Version QuickBooks 2017: 8019, 56727, 553773-55377
- For version QuickBooks 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378 – 55382
- Click ‘NEXT’ and select ‘ALLOW THE CONNECTION’ and click ‘NEXT’
- When prompted, select all profiles, and click NEXT and name the ‘NEW RULE’
- Click ‘Finish’ to complete.
- Now, repeat the same for ‘OUTBOUND RULES’ (instead of ‘INBOUND RULES’ select ‘OUTBOUND RULES’)
Now, reopen QuickBooks to check if the issue is resolved. If not, check the firewall settings for ‘exceptions’ to certain programs.
- Click on ‘START’ and key-in FIREWALL
- Here, click on WINDOWS FIREWALL
- Select ‘ADVANCED SETTINGS on the right-hand side and right-click on ‘INBOUND RULES’ and NEW RULES’
- Now, from the list displayed, click on ‘PROGRAM’ and ‘NEXT’
- Here, click on ‘THIS PROGRAM PATH’ and select ‘BROWSE’ to navigate to one of the paths mentioned earlier and select ‘NEXT’
- Now, click ‘ALLOW THE CONNECTION’ and ‘NEXT’ and when prompted, click on to select all profiles, and FINISH after giving the new rule a name.
- Repeat this for ‘OUTBOUND PROGRAMS< PROGRAM also
This should clear any firewall blocking happening for QuickBooks tools or file downloads. At this stage, after configuring the Windows firewall, if you are facing an issue related to ‘blocking’ of a program, contact the Accountsportal QuickBooks Technical Support team to investigate the issue.
Sometimes, even after performing the configuration, there might be some error somewhere, say the name of the port and so on, that might require rectification. Connecting to an expert will help in clearing the error swiftly.
If after configuring the Windows firewall, the issue still persists, try configuring the third-party firewall (if you have one in the system). The configuration of individual firewalls depends upon the instructions provided by the suppliers and therefore, cannot be dealt with unless the name is specified.
However, if you are manually configuring them, you can try adding the PORTS as mentioned before, to the firewall to UNBLOCK them or to stop them from interfering with the QuickBooks operation.
Call the experts at QuickBooks ProAdvisor Support Number on ✆+1-800-796-0471 to ensure you clear all the unwanted ‘BLOCKS’ placed on the system for QuickBooks, and operate the software without interruptions.