QuickBooks is renowned software that helps manage everything from account receivables to bank transaction and auto transfers. The application stores all the finances and company data in a single file with a.QBW extension. The .QBW file is segregated into multiple files, and neither does it contain numbers to its extension. The .QBW file can be copy and imported into another QuickBooks version.
Cannot Communicate with the Company file due to the firewall
The message states the following info: “It appears that the QuickBooks software on the following computer, (mentions the computer location with QB software) is set up to allow shared access to the company file, but the QuickBooks software on your computer is unable to communicate with it”. If further suggests that the issue may be due to the firewall and, the firewall needs reconfiguration as Intuit does not support firewall, or anti-virus programs.
Error Description in a multi-user setup
In a multi-user setup, the host computer should have the company files and should also be running, the database management app or the actual program instead of launching, the program from outside. In turn, the problem happens when the firewall blocks the incoming and outgoing communications with the company file. This also happens after updating, the operating system or the software to the latest version.
What are the Causes of Cannot Communicate with the Company file
• Installed Firewall isn’t set up or installed properly on the network
• The connection to the server that hosts company file has been lost or shows incorrect configuration settings
• The QuickBooks Data Base Server Manager is not running on the server
• Incorrect DNS setting
• .ND file damaged or missing
Steps to Resolve Cannot Communicate with the Company file due to firewall Error
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks to the latest release
Either the update prompted automatically OR attempted manually
From within QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to the File menu > Select Close Company/Logoff to close every company that is open
- Go to File > Exit
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on the desktop > Select Run as administrator
- Go to Help menu > Select Update QuickBooks > Update Now > Reset Update > then Get Update
- After the update is complete close QuickBooks and Reopen
- If there is a message to install update > Yes > restart the computer after installation
- Configure third-party firewalls
Add Exemptions to the firewall Needed by QuickBooks
- Get the dynamic port number for QuickBooks 2019 be used for your firewall port exception from QB Database Server Manager > Port manager
- Add Firewall port exception for QuickBooks from Advanced setting and apply new rules to allow connection for the ports selected above
Note: If you are using multiple year versions of QB, you will need to add each year’s ports
- Add the QB executable files on your Antivirus or Firewall
These are a series of steps that involve following the exact sequence. You can also contact the AccountsPortal team for assistance and help execute these steps.
Create the Network Data (ND) file
- The Network Data or .nd file stores information about the computer that hosts the QB company file
- Press the Window key > Type QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Click Add folder – Browse for those that contain the company file > Add > Scan
- Verify that .nd files created for each data file
A multiuser environ only one computer should be hosting the company file. While scanning for company file using QBDBMgrN the hosting turns on automatically.
Turnoff hosting on all workstations
- From QB Files > Select Utilities > Stop Hosting Multi-User Access > Yes
- Hosting on the server computer must turn on
- Open Task Manager > find QBDBMgrN.exe
- Run Windows and type services.msc > hit OK
- Find the respective QuickBooksDB for different years of QB versions
In the QBDBMgrN.exe row, the entry in User Name should be as per the versions located above and the startup type should be set to Automatic
Getting help with AccountsPortal
If you’ve run into deeper trouble or need help with executing the steps above, don’t hesitate to clear all doubts with us. Try to make an exact note of the issue and the error you are facing to explain the problem in a better way along with the list of steps you have already attempted.
Our team has a pool of seasoned experts with considerable years of experience in resolving the most complex issue related to QuickBooks.
Things that you won’t be able to handle on your own can be easily spotted with the right set of tools and expertise at AccountsPortal.
Our advisors will explain to you the cause and steps to taken to resolve the issue.
Contact AccountsPortal on number +1-855-355-0553 for the solution to a wide range of QuickBooks issue related to installation, upgrade, update, functional and technical issues.
You can also avail our round the clock Chat support or drop us an email regarding the details of the issue and one of our experts will get back with the right solution.