An EXEAdapter error or the 61686 error can occur when installing QuickBooks can occur due to a damaged Framework file. When a user encounters an EXEAdapter error, the installer stops working and the software will fail to install.
QuickBooks installation can stop working when it encounters such errors. It becomes crucial at this stage to resolve it before continuing with the installation.
What are the causes of the error?
One of the primary reasons for error is due to a damaged Framework.xml file. The error occurs when the Microsoft .net framework is damaged or missing on the operating system. Since the .NET framework is required for several programs, as in QuickBooks unless this can be repaired, the installer will fail to register the QuickBooks software.
The message that appears on the screen will be:
- The installer has encountered an error when running QuickBooks
- Exeadapter error: Install Exe has received an error
The EXEAdapter error can be resolved using the below-mentioned resolutions. Alternatively, you can dial up the QuickBooks technical help numbers to talk to the experts.
How to Resolve EXEAdapter error?
The EXEAdapter error can be resolved using the following resolutions:
The Framework.XML file is crucial for operating several programs such as QuickBooks. So, it needs to be modified or corrected before working on the installation.
Correcting Framework.XML file:
Depending upon where and how you are doing the installation from – either from the download or from a CD, the resolutions will vary.
- Modification of Framework when installing Software from the download
- Press the keys WINDOWS+R on the keyboard- the COMMAND PROMPT will open up
- On the command prompt window, key-in the words: %temp% and click OK
- Now, when the window with temp file opens up, click on the folder which has the name of the edition of Quickbooks you are trying to install.
In case you cannot find the QuickBooks install file on the temp folder, then re-run the QuickBooks installer, and when the welcome screen comes up, click ‘Cancel’
- Now, click-open the QBOOKS folder and
- Browse to find FRAMEWORK.XML. Right-click on the folder and click ‘RENAME’
- Change the file name of FRAMEWORK.XML to FRAMEWORK.XML.OLD
- Now, download the new FRAMEWORK.XML file from the web and Save it on the QBOOKS folder
- Once done, open the INSTALLATION FOLDER and click to RUN the setup.exe. Try to run the QuickBooks.msi FOLDER, in case the setup.exe folder fails to start.
Now, the installation should begin without any problem, since you have replaced the Framework folder with a new one. If it is still showing the error, call for assistance on the QuickBooks Technical Support number.
- Modification of Framework.xml file when installing software from CD
- Before beginning, click to Copy the installer to the desktop of the system you are operating with
- To copy:
- After installing the CD, when the InstallShield wizard opens up, close it and
- Browse to find ‘CD directory’
- Browse again to find the folder with the same file name as ‘QUICKBOOKS Edition’ that you are trying to install and press CTRL+C to copy the folder
- Now, right-click on the desktop and click Paste to copy it to the desktop
- You now have the QBOOKS folder on the desktop. Open the folder, and browse to find FRAMEWORK.XML. Click on RENAME
- Rename the Framework.xml to FRAMEWORK.XML.OLD
- Now, download the new Framework.xml file and save it to the QBOOKS folder (where the OLD framework file is present)
- Once done, you can run the setup.exe or the QuickBooks.msi files to begin installation of QuickBooks software.
Again, if the error message still appears, consult a QuickBooks expert by calling in the Accountsportal QuickBooks ProAdvisor Support number ✆+1-800-796-0471. The QB experts are present 24/7 to resolve any problems related to QuickBooks software.