QuickBooks automated desktop software offers the best accounting and finance related solutions to small and medium-sized businesses. The QuickBooks software can also be linked to the printer and configured according to it, to take a direct print-out from the system. However, ‘Printer not activated Error 20’ command can dampen our spirits with its sudden interruption.
Printer not activated error 20 is a common error, which pops-up when one gives a print command through QuickBooks. Although not a frequent one, the error shows up now and then, if the printer has a problem or a new printer is not configured.
Why does “Printer not activated error 20” occurs?
One of the primary reasons that might have caused the error is that the file to be printed is damaged. Otherwise, if the error has come up after upgrade of Windows 7, then the problem might be due to the installation.
How do we resolve Error 20?
Error 20 can be resolved by first reinstalling QuickBooks and then updating the registry key if the problem is due to windows 7 upgrade. However, if you find that the print file or the Microsoft XPS file is corrupted and that has created the error, then you need to contact the accountsportal tech support for assistance.
For printer not activated error 20, after windows upgrade, try the following solutions:
As you upgrade windows operating system, the setting is completely lost and needs to be reinstalled for the QuickBooks software to work again. Before trying the reinstallation process, make sure to create a registry backup.
For registry backup:
Click on the ‘REGISTRY EDITOR’ and click ‘COMPUTER’. From the list, select ‘FILE’ and ‘SAVE’ it to create a registry back-up.
Resolution for Error 20 after windows upgrade:
Solution – 1
- Go to ‘CONTROL PANEL’ and click ‘PROGRAMS- Applications and features
- Find ‘QUICKBOOKS’ and select ‘UNINSTALL’
- Now, you can download the QuickBooks software (a compatible copy for the new operating system)
Download the QuickBooks software and install it back on your newly upgraded operating system. Remember to have the ‘KEY’ for installing the software. It should resolve the error 20.
Solution – 2
Instead of reinstalling QuickBooks, you can also manually update the ‘REGISTRY KEY’ of the software. However, this requires expertise and would need an administrator to work on it. If you are not entirely comfortable, call our QuickBooks tech support team to guide you through the process.
- Now, open ‘REGISTER EDITOR’ and select ‘START’
- Key-in the worlds ‘regedit’ and right-click on REGEDIT to RUN it as an administrator
- Search for HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG since you have access to the registry editor
- Right-click on the QuickBooks software folder, and give ‘PERMISSION’
- Check if the user has complete control from the table, and click ‘OK’
- Finally, close the REGISTRY EDITOR’ and try to give the print command again for the same file to check if this has worked
Windows 10 users can manually update the registry key but this might require an expert help for the commands required to update the registry editor. You can dial ✆+1-800-796-0471 to assist you through the process.